Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Carolina In My Mind


I just got back from spending the last four days in North and South Carolina. It was a great visit! I spent the weekend with my sister in Raleigh, including attending a dog show at the landmark Dorton Arena, built in 1951 with an innovative (and successful) hurricane-resistant roof design. On Saturday night we attended traditional Easter services. On Sunday I rode Amtrak over to Charlotte, approximately a 3 hour ride. The train was packed with college students apparently returning from Spring break. Upon arrival in Charlotte my buddy whisked me off to the over-the-top SouthPark Cheesecake Factory (see picture above) for a belated birthday dinner. After dropping my bags at the hotel, we went out for post-dinner celebration at the Charlotte Eagle. I went as a guest, since North Carolina liquor laws require an annual membership (after a 3-day waiting period) for most bars unless you're a guest. The next day we traveled to Spartanburg, SC to visit the BMW Zentrum museum, which is adjacent to the factory there. Spartanburg is the home of the BMW X5, X3, and Z4 roadster. Unfortunately, plant tours aren't available as the facility is currently under a major expansion. The Zentrum is smaller than I expected but was still a lesson in the history of the "ultimate driving machine." Monday night was a big treat. We stayed at the Marriott in Spartanburg, SC, which is the home of the prestigious Miss South Carolina Pageant. Once we checked in, imagine my surprise when I learned that we had the Governor's Suite for the night! It's nice to travel with a friend in the hotel business! On our return to Charlotte today, we stopped to make a solemn visit to the Cowpens National Battlefield. In 1781, American Militia, Continentals, and Cavalry under Gen. Daniel Morgan routed the British troops led by the hated "Bloody Tarleton" in less than an hour, while taking relatively few casualties themselves. This victory was the result of impressive battle tactics and quick thinking by Morgan, as well as a fair amount of luck. I hope some of that luck rubs off on me soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment